In 1996 Cathedral City entered into a formal Sister Cities written agreement with the City of Tequila in the state of Jalisco, Mexico.
Since 1996 exchanges between the Cities included governmental best-practices, youth focused educational opportunities, donation of fire fighting equipment, fire fighter training, cultural, and art.
In 2016 the city of Cathedral City held a formal ceremony celebrating the resigning of the Sister Cities agreement between the city of Tequila and Cathedral City.
In 2018 the city of Cathedral City officially joined the SisterCities International organization.
- Formalize the Sister Cities Program
- Explore non-profit status
- Identify outside funding sources
- Consider additional sister city(ies)
- Encourage exchanges between other sister cities and Cathedral City community members
- Tie a successful Sister Cities Program to sustainable economic development for our City
City Council Liaisons
The Council appointed Mayor Pro Tem Aguilar to serve as liaison to the Sister Cities Task Force